Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Wise Tongue or Foolish Tongue

The foundation of godly speech is wisdom. James 3:13 says that a man who has God’s wisdom and knowledge demonstrates “a good conversation.” The contrast to this is found in the very next verse. A heart that is bitter and filled with worldly wisdom will be revealed by proud, contentious words. James 3:17 lists some specific characteristics of a wise tongue.

The words of the wise are pure, peaceable, and gentle. Do I delight in keeping my heart pure, so that my thoughts and words will be pure also? Do I ignore or enjoy off-color jokes? The problem of impure words reveals the problem of an impure heart. Do I work hard to keep peace in my dorm room, or do I make those little comments that irritate my roommates? My conversation will reveal whether or not my heart is at peace with God. Am I gentle? Do I demonstrate sensitivity and discretion, or am I thoughtless in my remarks?

“Easy to be entreated” is the next wise characteristic we see. Do people find it easy to ask me for help, or are they hesitant because they know I might grumble at them? Do my authorities find it easy to inform me of my weaknesses, or do they dread talking to me because they know I will be disrespectful? A wise man is humble and thankful in accepting reproof. A foolish man spouts sarcasm, indifference, and scorn for those who try to help him.

A wise man’s speech is “full of mercy and good fruits.” Am I the “angry countenance” or the “backbiting tongue” of Proverbs 25:23? Do I strive to think and say the best I can about every person and situation in my life? Do my words show the fruit of the Spirit or the works of the flesh?

A wise tongue is sincere and shows no partiality. Do I speak lovingly to some people and rudely to others? A foolish man speaks thoughtlessly, and often leads others to believe falsehoods. A wise man is cautious to say and imply only what is true.

Ultimately, what we say reveals the condition of our hearts. If my heart is foolish, my words will be also; if my heart is seeking God’s wisdom, my conversation will be a blessing to those around me. Proverbs 18:21 states, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.” How we use the power of our words is our choice. Will you choose death, or will you choose life?

1 comment:

Dew Drop pictures said...

Hey Lo la lee,
How are you doing? I'll try to call you sometime. What times work best for you?
Edder